Pages

Friday, February 21, 2014

on hopes for the next chapter

When Jeff and I started to get serious about college and making a plan to graduate, I worried if the degrees we were pursuing (Writing and Media Arts) were practical enough and would allow for a lucrative enough income and steady work. I wondered, why didn't I pursue becoming a nurse or a dental hygienist? And why not Jeff a doctor or even a PA? 

I don't let that worry me too much anymore, but reading posts like this from A Beautiful Mess solidifies that we are doing the right thing. There's obviously pressure in any marriage to make enough money to support a family, and there's a hope for a steady job with a salary and good benefits. While that all sounds nice, it's not necessarily a rewarding path for everyone, or even a realistic assumption. No job is so steady that it can't be taken away, and no amount of salary or benefits is constant either. I think that life can present challenges no matter what situation you are in, but the authors of that blog have showed me that you can live your dream through even your creative passions. Something I really appreciate about their story is their continual emphasis on not starting out something with the goal of making a lot of money. Of course, that would be a desired outcome, but I don't think it can start that way, not if you are going to find the motivation to keep going when all may seem lost. The A Beautiful Mess team didn't start out with the large staff they have, it was really just one girl's willingness to drop the status quo and pursue her dreams, and there were people along the way who believed in her enough that they supported her and helped shape her business to make it what it is. I think it is so neat that not only two sisters work together, but their husbands are employed through the blog as well. That is the ultimate dream for me, but doing what? I'm not quite sure yet.

I feel so grateful to have a husband that has such a passion for film and design. I know he would stay up all night doing projects if I weren't begging him to get to bed all the time. I find it so amazing that he can spend a full day filming, and come home still so excited to look through his footage and edit his shots. This trait of Jeff's reminds me of my dad. My dad is a the picture of someone who works tirelessly. His work day may end around a certain time of the day, but there is a separate, even more rewarding life to come home to  after that, and that is taking care of his family. Whether it's doing projects to clean up the yard or the garden, or organize the garage or clean the cars, he finds joy in it and finds a way for us all to be together and feel rewarded in our work.

Being college students, Jeff and I are pretty accustomed to not getting money in large amounts, and for that amount of money to vary each month. Just in the past year have we seen some consistency with our paychecks and even that will change come graduation. We've saved what we can and taken out as little loans as we feel like we can, and we have always had enough. I think the biggest thing I look forward to with the next step of our lives isn't going to be much different than it is now. What I hope for is to have enough money to meet our needs, and to find ways to support one another and be happy while always progressing.






2 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVE and APPLAUD you for going after what you want and doing that together! I had a guy dump me for my career choices and it was absolutely heart breaking, but it didn't change my opinion that doing what you want in life is so important. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are writing on your blog again :) I used to always check it to see if you posted something new and I decided to check it today and BAM you're back :) SO happy. Now, if I can just make MY blog public haha
    xo

    ReplyDelete