Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

all the busy people in the world.

There is no way that anyone is busier than I am. 

--have you ever had that thought before? I know I'm guilty of it, and I also know that I am surely wrong. In a recent interview with one of my professors, he briefly touched on that subject.

"The time will always fill up," he said. That small statement spoke volumes. He gave the example of how this term he is teaching four classes and feels that he might go mad, but even though he is only teaching two next term, he knows he will be just as busy because he will dedicate more time to them.

Some of you may be thinking, "duh!" as you read this, but this was helpful insight for me. Often throughout the day, as I am running around with my head cut off, I wonder how I will possibly be able to survive with a few children. And on top of that, what if I have a job? I know people survive, I see them do it, but the concept of one person having more time than another is a little skewed. We were all given 24-hours in a day. For me, it is a priority to sleep from 7-9 of those hours, and I go to class for about 3 a day, but what about the rest? How I choose to use them is the most important thing. And that is what has the ability to set everyone apart.

I know there are books written on that very word: busy. We seem to take pride in a busy day, but I know that people who have studied the word wouldn't say being busy is such a glamorous thing. But I can personally testify that lounging around all day can eat at the soul. So what then? I am intrigued enough to read on about it, and I will get back to you. Until then, I'm still going to try not to use the word "busy" the next time someone asks me how my week(end) was. Though I know for sure it'll be the first word that comes to mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment